Every season we stand

Every season we stand
Trip to Perth (Photographed in 2014)

Monday, September 13, 2010

The Story of Ethan & the Piglet Biscuits ~ "Jue Zai Bang" 豬仔餅


There used to be a time when I was fed these piglets. And I remember they used to come in little red plastic baskets complete with handles. But times have changed & the moon, based on rough estimation, has circled the earth more than 400 times since then. This year as the full moon approaches, I watched with utmost delight how Ethan, my 3-year old friend, enjoy his piglet biscuits.


With a spontaneous show of surprise, Ethan exclaimed, "pig!' when he saw the box. According to his wonderful parents, he was being dramatic but his free-spirited enthusiasm just cracked me up. When the contents of the box were revealed, his second exclamation was 'bing-gan!' (said with an ang-moh accent). At this point, I was almost totally filled with all the sweetness my little friend could use on me, to melt my heart. Not to mention, I was thoroughly amused by his 'dramatic' expressions.

Ethan readied himself for his feast. He willingly sat in his high chair & had his bib on without a fuss. First, he laid out all 5 'bing-gan'. Then, he thought aloud to 'make space' for his Seasame Street plate. I suggested packing the rest of the 'bing-gan' back into the box while I opened one. He took a bite & with the most endearing grin, he remarked," soft!' He reached out & touched my cheek to illustrate that the biscuit was indeed very soft. At this point, you can imagine my heart flipped with happiness! My charming 3 year old friend just reached out to touch my cheek! I mirrored him - 'Yes, soft!' & reached for his cheek in return.


Then, still in his happy & generous mood, he asked, 'you want?" & immediately offered me a bite. I was extremely flattered by his attention. True enough, the biscuit was indeed very soft and palatable. It melted in my mouth -- the way my heart melted as I continued to watch Ethan's enjoyment of the piglet.
 

Here's to Ethan's parents, Jim & Joanne ~ 2 wonderful people Fred & I have found connection with. Because of who they are. Their generosity & kindness.
There were countless uplifting moments just in one visit, & for the record,
it wasn't because of the 'woody' coffee Jim made for me from his Nespresso machine.
Jim & Joanne, thanks for sharing your lives with us.
We are extremely honoured.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails