Every season we stand

Every season we stand
Trip to Perth (Photographed in 2014)

Monday, September 13, 2010

Our Mooncake Story: how we got hooked on green tea & only green tea.

Years ago, I used my M1 reward points to exchange for a box of snowskin green tea mooncakes from Marriott Hotel. Ever since then, there was no turning back. Snowskin green tea became synonymous with the mooncake festival. Out with the traditional baked mooncakes. When the chill of the pastry hits the tongue, the fragrance of the green tea explodes within - a mild but just slightly sweetened palate. The skin itself has to retain its chewiness but not hardened by the refrigeration. Heavenly!

Green tea, green tea, everywhere we went, we picked green tea! Green tea mua-chi, green tea mochi... we thought we will fit very well to live in Japan, a country of green tea lovers!

Then, much to my dismay, Marriott stopped making the green tea flavour! Alas, in subsequent mooncake festivals, I would search for the same taste but I never quite find it - that same heavenly bite. OK, maybe I didn't look hard enough. This year, I was really just gonna settle for Bengawan Solo's snowskin green tea until I chanced upon Intercontinental Hotel's selection.

My verdict - the green tea paste is quite good. But the skin is a tad too hard, although it is quite thin. I also picked the black sesame flavour, which is too sweet for my liking & requires a sip of hot jasmine tea to correct the sweetness.

Ah, so I don't have a sweet tooth afterall & what's my business with mooncakes then? Oh well, here's to a full-moon Mid-autumn's Festival. May our relationships be made complete, may distant lovers meet, as the moon reaches its fullest & brightest.



Green tea paste with almond flakes

Black sesame paste with white sesame seeds


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails