Every season we stand

Every season we stand
Trip to Perth (Photographed in 2014)

Sunday, November 14, 2010

PoPo's Teochew Ngoh Hiang recipe: the passing on of a legacy

I am coming of age & reminiscing my childhood comfort food. So I have this urge to get my mom to pass on her recipes to me. This day was the day of the discipleship of 'How-to-make-Teochew-style-Ngoh-Hiang'.

Minced pork (1 kg), prawns (300-500g), water chestnut (10 pieces, washed, peeled & cubed), spring onions (1/2- 1 bowl), 1 egg (mixed in)

Seasoning needed: soya sauce, pepper, maze powder (no salt needed)

Watch video tutorial on how best to mix the ingredients together


Use a wet cloth to rub the salt from the surface of the ngoh hiang skins, divide the skins into ready-to-roll sizes.








After today, my mom shall relinquish her title of Ngoh-Hiang maker, she shall hang up her wok & spade (symbolically speaking) & pass them on to ---- ME, the firstborn in the family, the legal inheritor of her best-kept secrets (ahem!). It's now up to me to continue the legacy of making this delicacy (Applause for the rhyme please.) My sister, who loves this crunchy bite will have to depend on me, from now on.... (She better be nice to me or I won't make her mum's Ngoh Hiang! haha! I can use this nice, harmless threat from now on).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails