Every season we stand

Every season we stand
Trip to Perth (Photographed in 2014)

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Learn to Unlearn

This year is rather significant for me. It's the year I crossed over to another big zero. I truly don't remember if I had crossed the previous zero in a fanfare or perhaps in a meaningful & significant way. It's a big blur in my memory - that transition. But for this transition, I seem to want to put in more effort to document & then REmember. Why? Like a older, wiser friend said to me - this is the age of reckoning. Yes, I have come to my reckoning. It's a realization that I've walked almost half (if I am lucky more, if not, less) of my journey on earth & I have had my gains & losses. Some trophies came from sheer diligence & perseverance, others from being part of someone else's life in a meaningful way. Some losses were trophies, in disguise, in hindsight, from the School of Hardknocks, which meant I had camped in the Land of the Folly, the Impulsive & the Immature. Other losses were -- just losses, heartbreaking - I wear them like badges of honour along with some scars of the battles.

In this reckoning, I feel a stirring. What will the next 40 years of journey look like for me? What kind of landscape will I see? What kind of backdrop? Is it spring throughout? Summer? Or the beautiful autumn? Or the harsh winter? In all sense of the word, I am fully aware there are some things I can control (ok, like what I eat... I tell that to my students over & over) but there are many things I cannot control. My psychology training further informs me that a sense of being out-of-control is detrimental to one's mental health. It's the best gateway for insidious learned helplessness to creep into your backdoor, crippling & paralyzing your ability to make good choices. Perhaps I have been so 'psychologically minded' (occupational hazard) that my motto in life became BE-IN-CONTROL, as much as possible. And of course, I have reached this red-alert zone of 'being-set-in-one's-way' I don't naturally adopt a more relaxed, less rigid, more flexible stance.

Be ME, Be in CONTROL. As if this is my only pathway to HAPPINESS. Apart from Eat, Pray & Love (Oh, how I resonate with Elizabeth Gilbert in her personal tragedy & her quest for peace & happiness!)

Things I can't change, I have told myself -- then I ought to learn to CONTROL it. The more I try to control it (some things, not all), the more I become bitter & tired with having to learn to control it & the more I realise the sad, pathetic fact that I can't change it. I hate realising sad, pathetic facts!~

Now, at length, I begin to wonder what happens if I forget to be in CONTROL?? Can I stop being conscientious about being planful, about taking control of myself, my circumstances? Can I let my guard down & take a risk to love? What happens if I just let myself drift with the rhythm of life? Afterall, life itself is a form of positive energy. Life takes the lead many a time, opening up new doors, throwing out new encounters, flinging surprises at you when you least expect. Life takes on the character of the lif-er. It is rich because the person living it is generous. It is poor because the person living it is miserly & small-hearted.

In a strange but a monumental moment, watching David Tao's lecture at TEDx Taipei was like having an open- heart surgery for me. I felt like I was cut open in my heart until my soul was bare. That I just want to empty everything I have kept inside for so long, throw them all out, destroy, deconstruct; I feel an intense need to reconstruct, to renew what's in my heart. It dawns upon me I need to learn to unlearn. Perhaps then I will be brought to the landscapes my heart desires, the backdrops my soul longs for, the seasons & climates I find deepest meaning in my own pursuits & relationships with others.

Learn to Unlearn (Message by David Tao, TEDx Taipei
1. Forget & discard
2. Deconstruct
3. Reset (to zero)
4. Letting go

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails