Every season we stand

Every season we stand
Trip to Perth (Photographed in 2014)

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Hey, this is ang-moh cucumber hoh??

Courgette or Zucchini. We first saw plenty of this vegetable in our short-term stay in London at Waitrose. Then, I saw Jamie cook it in his recipes.

This entire week, I have given myself the excuse of preparing quick meals, also because I am nursing a slight cold & soreback (curse & swear at my horrendously cold office aircon!)

So I chanced upon 2 recipes in Jamie's 20 min meals (God bless Jamie! God bless iphone apps!) which use courgette as the veg ingredient. Ok, funny thing is this - as a local-bred 'aunty', my routine marketing is done at Fairprice. So I wasn't earnestly hoping I would find the ang-moh cucumbers there & already thought I would just modify with capsicums. So into Fairprice I went & darted straight to the capsicums section & picked me-self 2 huge juicy looking green guys! Then, lo & behold, as I cruised through the refrigerated section, I saw these 'cucumbers' tucked neatly in pairs, shrink-wrapped & labelled 'zucchini'. I looked at these fellows suspiciously & said, don't they look quite like those we used to eat in London? Hmmm... I inched aside to a corner, made sure no one was looking, typed 'zucchini' into the goggle page of my iphone & VIOLA! indeed they were the same fellows! Turned out the hubs was delighted at my efforts. Oh, I did have to substitute 'coriander' with Chinese parsley (Aiyah, they are siblings anyway) & he was fine with this cheat, muttering 'well, they don't differ too much in taste really...'

So -- I want to thank my iphone, Jamie & Fairprice that I managed to cook these recipes
~beaming~





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails