Every season we stand

Every season we stand
Trip to Perth (Photographed in 2014)

Sunday, April 12, 2009

We ate at Jamie's Italian, Oxford!

About 5 years ago, a very dear friend Karen heard I was learning to cook at home and very thoughtfully gave me as a birthday gift a cookbook by British chef, Jamie Oliver. My friend's gesture and Jamie's recipes have since opened up to me a whole new world in cooking. For someone like me who was never inclined to step into the kitchen in my younger days, the taste of success in translating those recipes into REAL, TASTY, EDIBLE food made me persevere beyond just a passing interest. Cooking is now second nature, with or without recipes. Having a homely husband has helped in this aspect too as Fred always believes that whipping up a meal at home beats dining out or 'ta-pow-ing food' back. Of course, to spice up the run-of-the-mill daily menu, I would try out new recipes as exciting treats or for special occasions.
Even in London, we stuck to our modus operandi to prepare our own meals. And of course, I didn't pass up my opportunity to dine at one of Jamie's numerous Italian restaurants in the UK. We did that in Oxford.

The outfit in Oxford high street.



Woo... I was getting excited.



"I am having this..."


"Take a picture of me first."

From strangers to friends - Fred socializing with a Caucasian toddler who became rather interested in him.

Food's here!!


Fred's order of steak was good! I love the rocket salad, except that I thought my pasta was a tad too tough. But still, the overall taste was great.

I walked around to capture shots of the other levels in the restaurant.




The whole place is tastefully done up in a totally casual & pop-art design.


Couldn't help peeking into the busy kitchen.





Young chap's preparing the orders for the entrees. He looked serious & busy when he realised I was taking his picture.


"Aha! I found Jamie's cookbooks on the display shelves!"

Even the toilet fittings are special & fitting the overall theme of pop art/retro.

Our after-meal drinks, tea for me & mocha for Fred.

Our waitress was cheerful and attentive. Had to give her a good tip!
Well, the experience had a familiar & heart-warming feel to it, given that I had tried numerous recipes of Jamie's & was familiar with the way he mixed the condiments & prepared the
sauce etc. One word - unforgettable! Would do it again except that we were mindful of the slightly above double conversion rate... haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails